NEW COMPETENCE. NEW COLLEAGUES. NEW CONFIDENCE.
You’ve had tough assignments before. But nothing like this.
Now you’re tasked—with little or no training—to write speeches for someone whose pay grade is well above yours. To represent DoD to all kinds of audiences. To capture the voice, thoughts, and intonation of a boss who, just months ago, you’d seen only from afar.
Above all, you don’t want to let down millions of men and women in uniform. They watch DoD’s leaders from tents, ships, missile silos, and a thousand other places around the world. They look to them—and therefore to you—for information and inspiration. What you write matters. And you know it.
Fortunately, there’s now training to help you.
We invite you to attend Military Speechwriting Training Online, August 4 – 7, 2020. Convened by the Professional Speechwriters Association, it’ll be taught by two seasoned, professional speechwriters—both retired military—who have written at the highest levels of DoD. Joining them will be the executive director of the PSA, who lives and breathes speechwriting every day.
Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, civil servants, and others writing for military leaders will find value and benefit from this training.
What You’ll Learn
At the end of the course, you’ll walk away with the know-how to become a speechwriting machine—and a Certificate of Completion to show for it, as well as a six-month introductory membership in the Professional Speechwriters Association.
Your new tool box will include:
- Hitting the Target—Learning to triangulate the audience, purpose & message of every speech you write.
- Mastering the Intro, Body, & Conclusion—Hooking your audience from the get-go, marshaling a persuasive argument, and wrapping up with a powerful call to action.
- Storytelling—Understanding the science behind the story (hint: mirror neurons) and how your boss can tell them in a way that will stick.
- Making the Boss Look Good—Learning how to be an effective coach, advisor, and staffer, plus how to make the best use of scarce time with busy people.
- Little Tips that Translate into Big Wins—Learning a number of tricks ranging from PowerPoint do’s and don’ts to formatting the delivery copy so you’re ready for prime time, every time.
- Other Ghostwriting Assignments: Command emails, letters and awards, Congressional testimony, op-eds, press release quotes, video scripts and bullet points.
Prepare yourself for 4 sessions of instruction designed to cover every aspect of military speechwriting.
DAY ONE: FOUNDATIONAL SPEECHWRITING CONCEPTS
Grab some coffee and hang on as we dive into the three fundamental concepts you must explore before putting your fingers to the keyboard. They include:
- Analyzing audience demographics.
- Identifying the purpose of the remarks.
- Creating key messages that will stick long after your speaker has left the podium.
We’ll also discuss that ever-present challenge: connecting your strategic communication goals to each event, so that each speech has a real target to hit.
DAY TWO: STRUCTURE AND STORYTELLING
In this session, you’ll learn how to build a speech, beginning to middle to end. You’ll walk away knowing:
- The key components of every intro, body, and conclusion as well as what each must accomplish.
- A structure that works for every speech: Monroe’s Motivated Sequence, which takes audiences where you need them to go whether the boss is speaking for 50 minutes or five.
- How to marshal a cogent argument with ample evidence, so you can convince even the skeptics in the audience.
- And all about storytelling: The science behind what makes stories so powerful, the elements needed to make even a short anecdote compelling—and how to deal with the speaker who’s a reluctant storyteller.
DAY THREE: SPEECHWRITING, IN REAL LIFE: PRACTICAL PARTS OF THE JOB (THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SPEECHES)
For a speechwriter, good thinking and writing are table stakes. Speechwriters who succeed in their work (and come to love it) master a whole set of skills that you’ll learn today:
- How to make the boss look good by being a careful fact-checker and a fully supportive speech staffer.
- How to make the most of your time with the boss when the 30-minute meeting about the big speech shrinks to three minutes!
- How to win the boss’s confidence to become a trusted leadership counselor.
- How to handle the huge range of other ghostwriting assignments, from op-eds to quotes for news releases to tweets.
DAY FOUR: OFFICE HOURS, WITH THE MILITARY SPEECHWRITING SCHOOL FACULTY.
If there’s anything Rose King and Sue Ross haven’t seen during their successful careers as Pentagon speechwriters, Professional Speechwriters Association executive director David Murray has seen it during his 25 years in and among thousands of speechwriters from every sector.
In this invaluable “office hours” session, learn from our faculty (and from your military speechwriting colleagues). Candid, freewheeling questions and answers, designed to put your remaining doubts to rest and send you forth with professional confidence—as a speechwriter.
HOW IT WORKS
Military Speechwriting Training Online is conducted via webinar platform.
Before each session, we’ll email simple directions to join the webinar. And after each session, we’ll email a link to the webinar recording.
Please email Benjamine Knight, PSA operations director, with any questions.
Or call 312-585-6383.
FAQ’S LISTED BELOW
Q: What is the cost of this online training program?
A: Military Speechwriting Training Online costs $995 for the four-day course. PSA members receive 25% off your purchase..
Q: When is the deadline to sign up?
A: We can accept registrations until the week prior. We suggest registering by July 28, 2020 so that you receive all the reminder notifications.
Q: I’m registered for Military Speechwriting Training Online. What do I need to do to prepare for the training?
A: The first session in this 4-day series will be conducted on Tuesday, August 4th at 1:00pm Eastern. Registered participants will receive email notifications in late July with instructions on how to join the series, as well as any pre-session materials from the instructors.
Q: What online service or platform do you use for the webinars?
A: The sessions will be conducted via GoToWebinar, which is a Citrix product. There is no need to download any software. Upon joining each webinar session, you’ll be prompted to open a CitrixOnlineLauncher.
Q: Is a camera required?
A: No, a camera is not required. In fact, cameras are not enabled on audience members. Only individuals with “panelist” or “organizer” designations have this broadcast capability.
Q: How long does each webinar last?
A: Each session consists of 45-60 minutes of instruction, with another 30 minutes for Q&A. Sessions will never run longer than 1.5 hours.
Q: I know I will miss one of the classes. Will I be able to view a recording of the webinar?
A: Yes, each session will be recorded and provided for participants to review by weblink. Be sure to register for each GoToWebinar (as we send the notices weekly) so you receive the automated post-session emails.
Q: I have a busy work schedule. Is it possible to catch up on the webinars in the evenings?
A: While most recordings are ready for us to share as soon as that same afternoon, some take longer to prepare, due to file size. These recordings will be available the following day, at latest.
Q: For how long is the webinar recording valid after the session?
A: The recorded sessions will stay accessible one month after the series ends–so, until September 4, 2020.
Q: Am I able to share the sessions with other coworkers?
A: Military Speechwriting Training Online is priced and designed for individual participants. Only the registrant will receive notifications/reminders as well as the Certificate of Completion and 6-month introductory PSA membership.
Register Now for Military Speechwriting Training Online
Phone registrations please call 312-585-6383
$995 to register for Military Speechwriting Training Online Registration.
Military Speechwriting Training Online is conducted via webinar platform.
Before each session, we'll email simple directions to join the webinar. And after each session, we'll email a link to the webinar recording.
No cancellations will be issued once the credentials to access videos have been provided.