Are you sure your leaders are consistently saying the right things in the most compelling way—for maximum results?
Or, are you sure they’re not?
We’re long past any doubt that effective communications is a vital skill for any executive. In this age, it’s just about impossible to be a poor communicator and an outstanding leader. Yet survey after survey shows that few executives ever reach any level of excellence in communication, while mediocrity tends to be the norm.
Because leaders and the people who support them often “major on the minors,” over-focusing on composition minutiae on the one hand, and delivery skills on the other.
True impact as a leadership communicator comes from a different place. It comes from message architecture.
The real question in communications is, how do you routinely structure exec comms messages that are:
- Crisp, clean and simple
- Truly audience-centric
- Organized around insight, not just data
- Emotionally compelling as well as logically sound
- And most important, re-tellable by your audience days, weeks or even years after a presentation
In three 90-minute interactive virtual courses plus a special office hours session, message-architecture expert and master teacher Tim Pollard and his colleagues at the leadership communication consultancy Oratium will give you a battle-tested, bullet-proof approach to effective message design and delivery.
DAY 1—What Is Messaging Architecture Exactly, and What Does Good Architecture Look Like?
Tuesday, Sept. 26, Noon-1:30 p.m. Eastern
- First, a constructive deconstruction of where and how most messages fail—and why. You’ll ruefully recognize some of your own work in this critique—and you’ll learn to get it right.
- What “getting it right” looks like. Hint: Persuading your audience is good, but it’s not enough. Learn about the crucial concept of “retellability,” and how to achieve it.
- The impact that compelling messaging will have on results. Do you and your leaders actually believe that excellent exec comms can materially affect the trajectory of your organization? After this session, you will.
DAY 2—Practical Tools for Creating Compelling Messages
Wednesday, Sept. 27, Noon-1:30 p.m. Eastern
- How to anticipate your audience’s pre-existing biases, and neutralize them effectively.
- Diagnosing your audience’s motivation. What will truly compel them to act? This isn’t standard audience-analysis stuff, about “what the audience wants to hear.” It’s deeper: It’s about what your audience needs to do.
- How to build a compelling argument that will drive action. Tim Pollard and his colleagues don’t come from the fuzzy world of thought leadership, they come from the hard-ass environment of sales. Their techniques make things happen, because they have to.
DAY 3—Emotional Engagement and Effective Delivery
Thursday, Sept. 28, Noon-1:30 p.m. Eastern
- Learn to engage your audience beyond the rational—getting to the emotions that actually drive decisions, even in among the most analytical people in the world.
- How to make your message “sticky.” So sticky, the audience can’t get it out of their head.
- What really makes for effective delivery? (Hint: it’s not eye contact or body language or smooth presentation.)
DAY 4—Open Discussion and Office Hours
Friday, Sept. 29, Noon-1:30 p.m. Eastern
Got a presentation you’re working on? Let’s workshop it. Got a question about how to apply message architecture in your environment? Share it. In this no-holds-barred 90-minute call, we’ll roll up our sleeves and put these concepts to work.
HOW IT WORKS
Message Architecture for Executive Communication is conducted via Zoom webinar platform.
Before each session, we’ll email simple directions to join the webinar. And after each session, we’ll email a link to the recording.
Please email Benjamine Knight, PSA operations director, with any questions.
Or call 312-585-6383.
No refunds on cancellations less than 30 days before the start of event. Within 30 days, your payment will be credited toward a future Executive Communication Council or Professional Speechwriters Association event.
$1295 to attend Message Architecture for Executive Communication, on Sept. 26 - 29, 2023.
$971.25 for members of the Professional Speechwriters Association (discount will show in checkout when logged in).
Phone registrations please call 312-585-6383